New Job?

In which our intrepid life explorer starts to see the big picture for 2010.

After speaking to my manager about my plans for this year, and to see whether or not work would agree to me taking 6 months off – unpaid – it looks as though the likelihood of this being agreed to is fast turning to a “no sir” outcome.

To be honest, even though they wouldn’t be paying me for the time I’d be off, I was already working on the assumption that that would be the case. Personally I think it’s a bit short-sighted of them but who am I to say? I suspect at the end of the day the head count will move out to India and they’ll get someone cheaper – bums on seats and all that. Their loss if it comes to it!

It’s not a definite no just yet but I suspect I’ll be handing in my notice at the end of the month (a couple of weeks away) as I’m not going to let this little hiccup get in the way of my plans. I’ll worry about work later on down the line and sort things out as and when.

Scared? Slightly. It’s a bit of a big step to be taking but I can’t give up now otherwise I’ll forever see myself as a failure, and that’s not going to help me recover now is it? If at the end of the day I try and don’t make it for some reason, at least I’ll be able to hold my head up high and say I gave it everything I had, my best shot.

The walk was always part of the healing process but then so was the possibility of new horizons too. Knowing that there was a very good chance work wouldn’t agree, the thought of starting a new career/job was potentially a very good, positive step too, oneย  that would definitely break all associations with my past life.

Interesting times ahead me thinks. Best get my online portfolio sorted out during my time off and we’ll see what will be later on in 2010.

You must be to post a comment.

10 Responses to “New Job?”

1. Treacle says:

On one hand I’m amazed that they would be prepared to lose your expertise, on the other it all comes down to the folding stuff and if thay can save a few quid farming the work out to India then I guess that’s what they’ll do. Sound business sense from a financial perspective but when will they learn that the work will only ever need doing all over again ultimately at a higher financial cost. Crazy.

Good on you for sticking to your plans … don’t know if I’d be able to do the same, but who knows? Change is nearly always a good thing and I think you’ll get to the end of 2010 and look back without a single regret. Good times ahead!

• Darren says:

Thanks mate. Don’t get me wrong I’m a little on the scared side with all of this if I’m truly honest, but I’m determined for that not to get in my way – you only live once and all that jazz!

Having the knowledge of a job being there as soon as I’d finished would be a weight off the shoulders for sure but if that’s not to be then sobeit. They haven’t given their final verdict yet but I’m really not holding out much hope any more, not that I really did in the first place.

I’m sure I’ll find something and may well take that career change I’ve wanted to do for quite some time now.

We’ll see what the world has in store for me in the coming months…

• Treacle says:

I get confused these days: was the career change the pole dancing job you were on about or was that the one you told me not to mention to anyone ;o)

• Darren says:

Er….no! I know I’m redecorating at home and stuff but there was definitely no mention of putting a pole up that’s for sure!! ๐Ÿ™‚

And I’m sure I have absolutely no idea what you mean by “the one you told me not to mention to anyone” – how very dare you!

• Treacle says:

Haha! I’m sure Marina would enjoy a swing around your pole. Hang on let me rephrase that before anyone get the wrong idea – my girlfriend enjoys a bit of pole dancing … nah this just isn’t coming out right :o)

Good luck with the application for “Hooters”, your moobs will go down a storm tee-hee-hee.

2. Russ says:

You could always go and drive a bus. That’s a nice easy job!!

3. Darren says:

Damn you Andy – run out of “Reply” options! I limited it due to the page width, which was sensible at the time but now means I can’t reply directly to your comment.

As it happens, my moobs are no more thank you very much! That’ll be the 2 stone I’ve lost since August last year…and more to come off this year with all the training ahead!

• Treacle says:

A-ha, we’ve inadvertantly [successfully] tested the thread limitations.

Glad to hear the moobs are no more … time to start on the six pack then (I don’t mean beer – for once!).

• Darren says:

Not sure I’ll actually get to a full-blown six pack but there’s still some flab to lose there.

I’ve started to draft out my training plan which includes weights and trunk/back strengthening exercises so I’m sure that’ll help on top of all the walking and running.

I’ve said I want to be fitter at 40 than I was at 20 and with all this – assuming I don’t just put all the weight back on afterwards – will go a long way to making sure that that happens!