Tough couple of days

In which our intrepid life explorer thinks about mum and dad.

After a bad couple of weeks, having the girls over the weekend and catching up with some very good friends really lifted my spirits. It wasn’t the most jam-packed weekend [for a change] but all in all it was a great couple of days, topped off nicely by seeing Andy and Marina, and Dave and Kerry who were over from France for a bit – great to see you guys!

The girls were lovely and we spent a lot of time cuddling, which was just what the doctor ordered, even first thing in the morning when they normally descend on my bed at some ridiculous hour to jump all over me. No, Sunday morning they came in, we put some music on and we lied there cuddling for a good 20 minutes or so…lovely!

After all that fun and cuddles the beginning of this week is a bit of a tough one. Yesterday would have been dad’s Birthday and today would have been mum’s. I miss them both so much and could really have done with their strength and support right now. On the other hand though, a part of me is glad they’re not around to see everything that’s going on right now – not that I’d ever wish they weren’t here of course, far from it! I just know that it would have broken mum’s heart to see the breakdown of my marriage etc. etc.

I’m trying not to descend into that black hole again this week and to remain strong after starting to bounce back from the previous two weeks but this was a tough time of year before, now it’s exponentially harder!

I suspect I’ll spend this evening drinking a bottle of wine, looking through all the old photos from mum’s place and shedding a few tears, well, a few more tears as they’re rolling down my cheeks as I write this. I really must get round to scanning the photos in and posting them on here for all to see. There are some great photos of mum and dad when they were young.

Miss you both terribly. Happy Birthday to you both.

You must be to post a comment.

7 Responses to “Tough couple of days”

1. Darren says:

I’ve added a gallery of photos I’ve scanned in of mum and dad.

There are a lot more but this was all I could handle doing this evening – headache again! – but I’m sure I’ll add more to this gallery over the coming days.

Enjoy!

2. Treacle says:

Me & Marina had a great time at the weekend, it was a lot of fun and fantastic to see the girls smiling so much. Alice is definitely getting too big for a carry now though!!

I’m sure it’s a very tough time of year for you, but try to keep on smiling – it’s all about remembering the good times and there have been A LOT of good times and plenty more to come.

• Darren says:

I know what you mean about Alice and carrying – Elisa’s beginning to get to be a bit of a struggle too 🙂

I had a really good time looking through the photos last night, including all the scary ones of us as kids too. Fortunately, there don’t seem to be too many of those…phew!

Yes, tears were shed – as they were again this morning – but they always looked so happy together in the photos.

Roll on the good times again!

• Treacle says:

If you need to cheer yourself up, just have a look at that photo of Russ dressed as Andy Pandy, it’s a winner everytime … maybe you should add it to a gallery on here? I’m sure Russ won’t mind :o)

• Darren says:

I haven’t got the original of that one and don’t know where it is, it’s not in the boxes of photos I got from mum’s place 🙁 I guess there’s always the massive print of it from the best man’s speach from the wedding I suppose?!

I’ve got some of the three of us from when we were little…it’s whether or not I’ve got the courage to post them here or not? I guess I could always just post the photos of Matt and Russ and “forget” to post any of me?!?!

3. Russ says:

Noooooo!!!! Don’t put that up!